Saturday, February 10, 2007

Not So Great Moments in Weather History: 1993 Superstorm


I've been spending my evening on the Internet studying famous storms. Although I'd like to forget most of these experiences like most people, I thought it would be nice to give you all an account of my experiences in certain storms.

The Superstorm of 1993 is my earliest memory of significant storms. This storm was dubbed "The Storm of the Century", and by looking at that radar image, I can believe that. The storm wreaked havoc as far south as Cuba and as far north as New England, including Greensboro, North Carolina. This was by the way, Saturday March 13th.

In Greensboro, it was basically a blizzard. The storm was so bad, WFMY News 2 was knocked off the air for awhile. This was back before they had back-up generators like they do today. I'm also assuming that Carolina Circle Mall was shut down. I had to work that mall in here some way.

I was 3 years old at the time. This is notable because I have no memories of the January 1996 at age 6. Anyway, back to 1993. I don't remember much about the conditions, but I remember losing power. Just like today, my grandmother lives two houses down from me. She was the only one near us who did not lose power. So I spent the night up there. I do remember that night eating ice cream in front of her TV and losing power for a few seconds. She got real mad!

That next day (Sunday, March 14th), I remember returning home. My house was still without power. I also remember one particular moment when my brother chased me through the house. Ha! Ha! Ha!

I would love to hear any accounts of this storm, especially if you were in Greensboro at the time.

You can read more about this storm here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

During this storm we lost power for several days. We all slept in the basement in order to be near the woodstove. We all slept in one room downstairs. On the day that we finally found a store that had dry ice-so we could keep the food in the deep freezer--power came back on. It was a lot of work, cooking on the wood stove, keeping wood in the house, managing all the children, but it was nice to have the quiet quality time together.--Liz